Friday, June 03, 2011

Angry Motorist in Fredericton

Today was an interesting cycling in downtown traffic. It was bumper to bumper traffic and I was waiting behind a car and a van with an Ontario license plate sped up behind me, honking and swearing at me. He screamed, “GET ON THE F****ING SIDEWALK WHERE YOU BELONG, YOU ECO TW*T”. I just sat there and laughed at his ignorance. Maybe I should install a go-pro on my helmet and record some of the impatient drivers... I am not saying all Ontario motorists are like this. When I stayed in Toronto for three months, most were courteous and aware of cyclists. :)

Another issue is motorists running red lights. There are zero cameras at intersections in Fredericton and motorists know that they can get away with it. If there were consequences, I imagine we would see an end to this. You know you’re a Frederictonian when you look to make sure no one is running a red before entering an intersection, even though you have a green light.

City council often overlooks the cycling culture in Fredericton, but over the past 10 years, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of cyclists. Dare I say that it’s becoming mainstream? Let’s hope it continues to grow, or to at least impress Congress 2011! Fredericton is growing to be a reputable and green innovative city and I am excited to see what it will look like in the future.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that you didn't loose your cool with the driver - it's sometimes so tempting to retort or at least bang the roof with a cycle pump. Whilst it appears to happen the world over, you have to remember all of the cars that passed without saying anything, and smile at those that gave you consideration and a wide berth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is so tempting to lash out, but sometimes it's for the better not to say anything!

    ReplyDelete