Monday, July 18, 2011

Google Maps Updates Cycling Routes!

After months of reports, Google Maps has finally updated cycling routes in the city! The York Street and Montgomery Street bike lanes have been added to the map as well as Prospect and Crocket Street. For those of you who do not know, light green is a bike lane, dark green is a multi-use path and a dotted green is a share the road. I know it's silly to be this excited over a map update, but it is great for cyclists and tourists wondering how to get around Fredericton safely. Plus, it makes a city look great to have such an extensive cycling network. I know we could never compare to cities like Montréal, Copenhagen, San Francisco or even Vancouver- but it is nice to have our own little bicycle metropolis.


Also, the North Side Trail has been added to the map. When I first moved to Fredericton, I never knew it existed!



I have not heard any updates on the possible bike lanes on Brookside Drive, Royal Road, MacLaren Ave, Rockwood Ave or Hanwell Road, but I promise to keep you updated as soon as I hear anything.

To see the full map on google, click the bicycle layer in the drop down tab or click this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment